Wednesday, November 5, 2008

American chop suey and other beef thoughts

I tend to eat moderately seasonally, but often the day-to-day menu items are so un-noteworthy that I come around to the same season again and think "What DID I eat last Novemeber?".  

Tonight, I'm eating my take on:

American Chop Suey

~ 1 T garlic
~1/2 cup of chopped onion
~ 1lb ground beef
~1/2 box of whole wheat elbow macaroni (ziti works, too)
~ 2/3 c of tomato sauce*
Optional:
~ 1/4 c chopped celery
cheese

Start water boiling for macaroni.  Saute the garlic, onion + celery in a large cast iron frying pan until the onion is translucent.  Add ground beef.  When the water is boiling, add the pasta + cook according to manufacturer's directions - err on the side of underdone.  When the ground beef is done, add the sauce, pasta and cheese + mix.  
*I use so little sauce in large part because sauce without vinegar and/or black pepper is REALLY hard to find and canned/jarred tomato products are a mold hazzard. So, I'm working off a relatively small stock of frozen sauce that I made when the tomatoes at the cheap farm stand near work were at their peak.  Next year, I want to hold a tomato sauce canning party... 

In other news, running into an old friend on Ravelry got me thinking about higher quality meat.  Supposedly, grass-fed beef is higher in omega-3, which I hear rumours is good for allergies.  

I usually buy the family pack of whatever % is on sale of ground beef + freeze it in roughly 1lb chunks.  Today, I thought I'd buy the higher-quality grass-fed stuff - but it was 9$/lb!! For ground meat!  And apparently, that's a fair price!  I bought the 3lb family pack of conventional for about 9$ total, instead.   Of course, it looks like my co-op has antibiotic/hormone free ground beef for $2.99/lb this week - I should stock up. 

I also looked into meat CSAs in my area - Chestnut Farms has a meat share that starts at 10lb/$80/mo for some regular and some high-quality cuts.  That's currently a bit too expensive for me, but it's better than $9/lb for the cheapest cuts!  

Oh well - that part of dinner was a little light on the vegetables, so I'm going to go have a "second course"!

3 comments:

Eileen said...

I posted a food intolerance recipe today for Cranberry Loaf ...if you are interested....check my blog...I've tried some of yours -thanks -it is hard to find something yummy some days...take care..

amblingfog said...

We use a recipe much like this American Chop Suey for the Community Table soup kitchen. In order to inflict vegetables on those that don't really want them, we dice up carrots, green pepper (I know, not good for you guys), summer squash and zucchini along with the onion and celery. I like to saute all the veggies in the pan after the meat and then assemble the whole thing. Of course, our recipe feeds 70 or so, so we take some other liberties, too!

Kat said...

Thanks eileen, I'll have to check it out! This month's quest is to clean out the freezer - I think there are some cranberries back there!

amblingfog - the summer squash and zucchini sound great! They tend to be cheap, too ;)